Reliable $1 Web Hosting by 3iX

Monday, October 4, 2010

ST Forum : Hard to spot home loan changes

Oct 2, 2010

Hard to spot home loan changes

IN MARCH 2004, I refinanced my HDB home loan with HSBC's Smartmortage package, which offered an interest offset feature with a linked current account.

I meticulously checked the loan terms with the bank officer and asked her why the agreement gave the bank a unilateral right to vary any condition, thereby defeating the purpose of signing a contract. Her reply was that it was industry practice.

Early last month, I wrote in to redeem the loan as I had sold my house. Later, I was puzzled to see interest debit costs charged to my account in my latest statement.

The bank replied that there was a standard term that allowed interest to be levied during the three-month redemption notice. I could not find such a condition in my loan agreement. On Wednesday, HSBC indicated where it was: in a few sentences included in several monthly statements in 2008, stating an amendment.

When a customer receives a monthly statement, his focus will be on checking the accuracy of the figures. Now he must check for amendments to the loan agreement as well.

Signing a long-term loan, such as a home loan, with a bank seems like signing a blank sheet of paper where the bank can change the conditions unilaterally at any time.

Mohamed Rafiq Hamjah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-development Land Investing

In business for over 30 years, success in providing real estate investment opportunities to clients around the world is a simple, yet effective separation of roles and responsibilites. The four pillars of strength guide the land from the research and acquisition, through to the exit, including the distribution of proceeds to our clients ......


To know more how this is really work for you and your clients....

Please contact me Terence Tay @ (+65) 9387-5896 or email : terencetay.kh@gmail.com