Reliable $1 Web Hosting by 3iX

Monday, February 8, 2010

ST Letters : Single PR can't buy resale HDB flat

Feb 7, 2010

YOUR LETTERS

Single PR can't buy resale HDB flat

I refer to last Sunday's sidebar, 'What properties can PRs buy?', alongside the article on what permanent residents look for when buying resale flats ('When PRs buy HDB resale flats, key considerations are cost, location').

The sidebar stated that 'PRs are allowed to buy resale HDB flats - but not new flats - without housing and mortgage subsidies'.

This is not entirely true.

Single Singaporeans over the age of 35 are allowed to buy resale HDB flats, but a single PR cannot do so.

I have appealed against this ruling for the last year or so, but have been unsuccessful.

I am nearly 59 and divorced, but am contributing to Singapore by teaching English and creative writing. I was born and raised in Singapore and was a citizen.

Nearly 30 years ago, I married an Englishman, and later took up British citizenship. I did so not because I was disloyal to Singapore, but because Singapore did not permit dual citizenship.

Five years ago, I divorced my husband. I have two sons who have served national service and retained their Singapore citizenship. They now live here.

I decided to come back to Singapore to live when my grandchildren were born. My sons managed to help me get PR status here.

I applied for an HDB flat as I could not afford a private apartment. I went to see the Housing Board, but my application was rejected. This year, I made an appeal and it was rejected too. So I have to stay with my family when I am in Singapore.

I understand the need for stringent housing rules so that people do not abuse the system, but I feel that some cases have to be reviewed with humanity.

Josephine Chia (Ms)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-development Land Investing

In business for over 30 years, success in providing real estate investment opportunities to clients around the world is a simple, yet effective separation of roles and responsibilites. The four pillars of strength guide the land from the research and acquisition, through to the exit, including the distribution of proceeds to our clients ......


To know more how this is really work for you and your clients....

Please contact me Terence Tay @ (+65) 9387-5896 or email : terencetay.kh@gmail.com