Reliable $1 Web Hosting by 3iX

Thursday, January 14, 2010

TODAY Online : Marry, so I can get a flat?

Marry, so I can get a flat?

10:30 PM Jan 11, 2010

Letter from Cheang Kai Wai

I refer to "Asset that keeps growing" (Dec 30) and "Allow young adults to buy HDB flats".

I echo Mr Gurmit Singh Kullar's sentiment that single Singaporeans over the age of 35 with a roof over their heads would have the urge to settle down more readily.

Provided that the right soul-mate would comes along, of course.

However until that day comes, a small group of us are deprived of an opportunity to get a flat due to the Housing and Development Board's (HDB) red tapes governing the 'Eligibility for Loan' policies.

I share my experience:

I am currently over 35 and hold a stable job. However, due to my past spending habits, I am currently in a situation where I am repaying outstanding debts to commercial banks. Therefore over the course of six months, I failed to secure any available commercial bank loan due to my bad credit ratings.

I approached HDB for aid in granting me a 'Eligibility for Loan' approval so that I can purchase my own flat.

However despite several attempts, I was rejected again and again because I had failed to satisfy the one condition stipulating the 'maximum income cap ceiling' .

HDB's only reason for rejecting me is that my salary exceeds this income ceiling. Thus, I am placed in a situation when a hardworking Singaporean who tries his best to earn his keep is being penalised for earning too much. Despite justifying my situation, I am deemed to be not deserving of any aid. These attempts also failed even with the assistance from my Member of Parliament.

I can only conclude that if a Singaporean - who has tried all other means to secure a roof over his head - cannot depend on the HDB, then who else can we depend on?

Apparently in my situation, I am left to fend for myself.

Maybe our other alternative is to just find someone - anyhow, anywhere - to get married to just to be eligible to get a flat.

We would get divorced later when we realise that the foundation of this marriage is based on the wrong needs - the need for a HDB flat.

No wonder divorce cases are arising very year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-development Land Investing

In business for over 30 years, success in providing real estate investment opportunities to clients around the world is a simple, yet effective separation of roles and responsibilites. The four pillars of strength guide the land from the research and acquisition, through to the exit, including the distribution of proceeds to our clients ......


To know more how this is really work for you and your clients....

Please contact me Terence Tay @ (+65) 9387-5896 or email : terencetay.kh@gmail.com